Entrepreneurs re-entering the workforce?

Are there any other entrepreneurs out there that are re-entering the workforce? I’d love to hear about your successes and challenges as you put yourself back out there.

My business shut down last October and it has been much harder to land a new position than I thought. I believe I was not marketing myself well and since I can, and have done, just about everything I did not appear focused when presenting myself to an employer. I have since narrowed my focus and presentation on one job niche for which I am truly excited.

2 Likes

@dianeleone I thought of you when I saw this post from @peteroreilly. I know you are also transitioning from entrepreneurship and I thought connecting with Peter would be helpful.

1 Like

Thank you @Mag for the introduction! I’d love to hear about your transition @dianeleone!

1 Like

Hi Peter, nice to meet you. Yes, I have had my own businesses for 25 years and I’ve been looking for remote work with no success. I also have a wealth of experience in various areas and felt my resume did not come across well. I did try customizing it for each job I applied for but still, didn’t get results. I hope to work on that and find remote work that allows me to utilize my knowledge and experience and travel. It’s tough because I still have to find work for my business to keep the income going while looking for remote options. Would like to stay in touch. Wishing you the best in your search!
Diane

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply @dianeleone! I have tried creating a resume for each position, but found that then my LinkedIn profile did not correlate with the resumes I was submitting. I am now focusing on just one niche and hope that will improve my success. It is a strategy that requires a lot less customization for each application which I hope will allow me to apply to more jobs increasing my changes of success. Good luck in your search!!

2 Likes

Along with applying, also network. Talk to people in the industry or companies you want to work for. Offer value where you can and you might bypass the obnoxious application process. This is what I learned studying job hunting from expert sources. I’m a similar situation, trying to get a remote job in a new industry. My strategy is the hit the job hunt from all angles.

Best of luck Peter! Best of Luck Diane! Wish me luck too!

2 Likes

Good luck @westondavis

Thanks for your suggestion @westondavis and I will certainly start working that angle as well!

Ditto here. I have restructured my resume several times. I’m now focusing my resume on challenges and results to present what I can do for them and in less training time improving their ROI.

2 Likes

I’m doing the same. Will see how it goes.