I'm looking for a mentor

I’m creating a startup and I need to learn the business side of things. I’ve been studying, so I am starting to get the idea, but I really need the help of an entrepreneur experienced in tech startups. I realize you may be super busy and can’t give me much time every week, and I can’t pay you, but I’m hoping someone is out there…

4 Likes

Nicely and concisely expressed idea.
I’m in the same state.
We all need a mentor, and not many people ask for it, so kudos.
I might need a partner though.
I have good contracts\money influx already, but lack the knowledge of scaling.

3 Likes

What kind of startup do you want to make?

1 Like

In DevOps field, where I am an expert.
What about you?

1 Like

Well, not specifically DevOps, but SaaS. Maybe we can chat?

1 Like

Sounds good.
Can’t find a way to send a personal message here.
But I’m sure there is one! ))

1 Like

Hi @ivanboyko great question. To send private massage just click on the Picture/Name of the person you are chatting in the forum and you will see a popup to send a message. Here is a screenshot. Hope that helps.

Hi @ivanboyko and @glennmcgrewii great to see you connect. I am Mag - I am the founder of Pangian. I am super busy now running Pangian so not too much time for mentoring but when I started Pangian as a startup, just with a FBgroup - what helped me was the book: “Lean Startup” by Eric Ries. Hope that helps.

Also, try to google “startup incubators” or “startup accelerators” in your city - many of them are free have mentors you can connect with.

If you have any questions - please jump in this thread - would love to see how everything goes. I know you can do it!

2 Likes

Hi Mag.
Many thanks for the screenshot.
Funnily I didn’t see “Message” button until I refreshed the page.
I was logged in, not sure why was that… maybe some buy in my Chrome ))

1 Like

Heeey! I have this book! Just never had time to actually read it )))

Thanks for all the interesting ideas, and for the motivation!
You are truly an inspiring person!

1 Like

Thank you, Mag! I recently watched a video providing a 2-hour summary of that book. It was helpful but kind of overwhelming, too!

My team is combining the 10 principles of Lean, Agile and Design Thinking.

Hi @glennmcgrewii I knew that one day you’d come up with this idea.
What can I say regarding tech experience and mentoring?

There are a couple of entrepreneurs that offers free of charge
It’s hard to notice but they’re usually spreading the knowledge all over the internet

I can suggest 1 that would give you a better idea.

Silicon Valley Girl

Anything more than that can be a second resource.

If you want to find more, just type silicon valley on youtube and you’ll end up pretty much with a bunch of tech developers and solo-entrepreneurs giving tips and ideas.

There’s one important thing.

Mentoring is not the answer to everything.
It’s what you can do with the resources that you already got.

Good Luck :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Thanks, as always, for your response! It’s much appreciated!

You said that English is not your native tongue. Where are you from?

1 Like

You’re welcome @glennmcgrewii :slight_smile:
Yes, that’s right, English is my second language.
I’m from Brazil :nerd_face:

2 Likes

@glennmcgrewii

I’m creating a startup and I need to learn the business side of things. I’ve been studying, so I am starting to get the idea, but I really need the help of an entrepreneur experienced in tech startups. I realize you may be super busy and can’t give me much time every week, and I can’t pay you, but I’m hoping someone is out there…

I think I can help :slight_smile:
I won’t be committed to your idea, I don’t want anything in return, but I can clarify a few steps, costs, platforms, development, servers, etc.
If this is what you’re looking for I’ll be glad to help.

ps: go straight to the point,
I have enough data about you on the deep web.
just kidding, Google gave me everything about you. :sweat_smile:

send me a private message :lock:

2 Likes

I’ve been online since the late '80s, so I have no doubt that there is a TON of info about me online.

Thank you, Anthony!

Hi Glenn, I’m new to the group and came on here to figure out what I’m doing wrong with finding remote workers. Your post stood out to me so I figured I should chime in.

I started a business two years ago and got to the point where I also needed a mentor. A friend had me checkout score.org

They partnered me with a mentor who ran a business similar to mine for over 20 years and immediately helped me resolve some issues and since has given me direction to stay on the growth path I am aiming for. Kudos to you for not being afraid of asking for help and knowing that you need help!

3 Likes

Hi @lancespracklen thanks for sharing information about score.org. I heard a lot of create things about them !

Also your recommendation reminded me about another great resource called I-Crops. https://www.nsf.gov/news/special_reports/i-corps/ . It’s a national organization with chapters in most states/cities and they offer incubator programs for early startups. The programs are usually a few weeks long and offer funding of about $2500.

@glennmcgrewii tagging you in case that would help.

Cheers

1 Like

@lancespracklen @Mag Thank you both for the resources - it’s much appreciated!

Hi @glennmcgrewii and @ivanboyko, I think I need a Co-founder or partners too.
I’ve had over 20years of working exp. in Tech support and marketing, but lost my job in early March due to COVID-19, I was actually looking for another job but after reading your posts then I had a second thought to focus on my Startup company which I abandoned since last year.

Now that am jobless, I’ve just resumed working on my website (rendering Digital Marketing, Consulting Services, and some online courses).

The digital Marketing service is low cost and fully dedicated to startups and small businesses around the world. I’m currently doing a 50% discount offer but will be willing to offer both of you a free 1-month marketing service if you are interested.

Let me know what you think.

and @Mag thanks for giving us this great opportunity.

Thanks.