Mental blockers and fear of making the jump from full time to contract/freelance

I enjoy my current job - I work with great people, I get to learn new things every day, the pay is decent, and we have flexible hours. But I was furloughed in April and it taught me a few things:

1. No matter how great I am at my full time job or how many hours I put in, it can disappear in an instant.
  2. I can live on a lot less money than I thought.
  3. My life is dictated by my job. When I was furloughed it was so satisfying to just wake up and live. I really enjoyed having more time

All of this got me thinking I want to make a change: less money in exchange for fewer work hours and more time to just live before I die. I’ve interviewed a few places and find myself really afraid of making this kind of move when it gets right down to it. It goes against everything I’ve learned I should strive for (higher position, more $$, and all the stress and long hours that go with it). Not to mention worrying about health insurance.

My current job is nice as far as jobs go. It’s just too many hours.

Am I crazy for wanting to make this kind of move? Anyone else on here who has made this leap? How did it turn out? Do you regret it or do you wish you’d done it sooner? What are the pitfalls or anything you wish someone had told you before doing it?

Would really appreciate some insight from someone who has been here before. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @kellyhays.

I do not think you are crazy enough. As long as the pay of a part-time job is enough to cover your expenses and save money for emergencies and any future goal you have then I think it is a smart move.

Before people use to work long and crazy hours (which is OK if you have a short term goal that you want to achieve) their entire life until retirement age with the hopes of retiring and travel and do fun stuff. The reality is that by the team a person reaches that age (if it does!) their needs and wants (or energy and health) may have changed drastically.

With this in mind, I think the earlier a person starts truly living life the better it is. So, follow your heart and live your life. :slight_smile:
I

1 Like