Remote job-search anxieties!

Hi all, (From Milwaukee, WI, USA)
I just wanted to post because I talk myself out of this.

Great news! I now have a Masters in Adult, Continuing, and Higher Education Administration and I also have a Bachelor’s in Management Information Systems. Bad news, I am stuck because of finances are not in order and I need to find something fast, or I will be living on the streets. However, I believe I have the skills to get out of this mess.

After receiving my degree, I am done with Milwaukee. It’s cold, nothing is here for me anymore, but I must find a job. Whenever I think about working remote. I get overwhelmed with anxiety. On top of that, I have limited experiences in the new career I am seeking. E-learning management, facilitating, training and development, and other related jobs. Of course, I can find something local, but then I was thinking why not put myself out there and get a remote job, so I can be mobile. I am just used to going to a location, so I am nervous. My body, mind, and soul is rejecting the idea of signing up with a company here in this city!

The career goal is to eventually leave the U.S. and just live my life!
How did you learn to trust yourself enough to stick to your remote-work schedule?

What are some tips to stay grounded during your remote-job search? Are there jobs that are kind to those that are making career changes? Keyword recommendations when finding job for those new and nervous about working remote?

1 Like

Hi and welcome!

I am new too and also making a career change. I used to work in primary school education. Unfortunately, working in education is difficult due to my constant moving around which is why I am making a career change and hopefully I can land a permanent remote job where my location won’t matter. So I’m on the same boat.

One tip I learned while on this journey is to highlight transferable skills in resume. Another is to reflect back on my previous experiences and generate result-based statements, since, apparently, recruiters love that.

When it comes to staying grounded, I try to learn new skills or refresh former skills. LinkedIn has free short classes to acquire random skills, such as beginners for Excel, to brush up on my skills so when I do get an interview, I can express how knowledgeable I am working online. I also find a lot of helpful YouTube videos, and practice these skills on my free time. Also, I read that companies might ask what you have done during your transition period between jobs, so this is a good thing to say when the time comes and if this is asked.

Good luck on your career change!

2 Likes

I made a firm decision to work with flexibility and earned the trust of my employers to work outside of the office environment. That was my experience, and I often hear that companies prefer to hire those who have experience working remotely, for remote positions. It takes a lot of focus, discipline and organization to work independently and you’ll have to be quick to adapt to ever changing tech tools that help you connect with dispersed teams, sales platforms and back office environments. I’d start with telling people where you are headed, and seek out that training and development position in E-learning locally, regionally and nationally. Be open to re-locate. Show them you are flexible. Good Luck! :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes